With the cold, wet weather it was difficult not to ponder the coming autumn. Here is another Google Maps application, this time using the locations of this year’s Manitoba fall suppers.
Fall suppers are a prairie tradition. Every autumn, residents of rural towns assemble to prepare home-made, buffet feasts of turkey, meatballs, mashed potatoes and gravy, farm-fresh vegetables, pies, and all sorts of local flavour and family recipes. These meals are then served at local community halls or one-room schoolhouses, often to many visitors who’ll line up long in advance to enjoy the down-home treat.
A personal favourite of mine was organized by the community of Meleb, Manitoba, and held at the town hall at Silver, Manitoba. There was plenty of food for seconds and thirds during a single seating, no need to move on when we were done. (Some suppers have multiple seatings, shuffling you out quickly just to get another group seated.) Not only was there a fabulous meal with a larger menu than most, there was entertainment in the form of a local orchestra of old-timers. And some people even got up to dance.
- Brief Overview of Canadian Intellectual Property Rules
- Firefox Search plugins for Ukrainian Wikipedia and Wiktionary
- Manitoba Fall Suppers 2011
- Getting ready for Manitoba Fall Suppers 2011
- Winnipeg Tarot Co.
- Manitoba Fall Suppers 2010
- Simple Random Sample Generator for Statistics
- OpenOffice.org Templates for APA-Style Student and Academic Papers
- OpenURL Multi-Resolver Tool for Zotero
- Fido charging customers for its mistakes?
- Network configuration for HP LaserJet 4 printer
- Full restore from Time Machine and resuming backups
- Manitoba Fall Suppers 2009
- Security or convenience?
- APA-Style Template For OpenOffice.org Writer
- Google Scholar Advanced Features
- Google Conversations
- Plagiarism and authority
- Zotero Resolver for Central Michigan University library
- Zotero bootstrap
About the authorOrest Kinasevych is a digital media and publishing technologies instructor and consultant. He currently holds a faculty position at Red River College in Winnipeg, Canada. Orest has worked as a publishing technologies consultant to clients in publishing, pharmaceutical, travel information and financial industries across the U.S., Europe and Asia.
FeedbackComments, suggestions, criticisms, and any type of feedback would be greatly appreciated. Use the comment tools provided in the articles or use any of the means indicated on the Contact page to reach the author.